Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Altered Scrabble Tile Pendants

My next swap I participated in was for sending 2 altered scrabble tiles each to two partners.  I opted to make pendants.  As with everything, I have a ton of scrabble tiles.  So off to the work room.  As with the dominoes, I drilled holes in the top and bottom with my handy dandy Dremel with a very small drill bit.  Then for the others, I opted to use bails for them.

I sanded the front so that what I glued on there would stay.  Instead of using paper for the front which would require some form of sealant, I decided to use something I created myself.  I used Yupo paper which is 100% synthetic recycled "paper".  You can get some really cool effects with watered down paint.  I chose to brayer the paint on it and I have a big pile of these cut into ATC sized pieces.  I used a piece of cardboard to evenly spread some heavy matte gel and pressed the front of the scrabble tiles into this and let it dry.

I trimmed the excess Yupo paer from the tiles and colored the sides with a black Sharpie pen.  I then on one set adhered a copper disk with a letter imprinted on it on one set and on the other I drew with a Radiograph pen a heart and glued on a Swarovski crystal.  I added beads and ribbon for the former and silver bails for the latter.  And here are the results!



No comments:

Post a Comment