Monday, August 9, 2010

June Bugs

We have had a really dry summer, from June until the last week of July almost no rain.  So this year the annual June Bug invasion had not yet occurred.  I hadn't seen Japanese Beetles or heard hardly any Cicadas.  Since they all emerge from the ground it is probably because the ground is like fired terra cotta LOL.  Then the last week of July we had some decent rain and all hell broke loose.  Thousands of June Bugs everywhere.  Today I went out to take some photos and I went to the fig trees to try and get some close ups of the wasps and bees and the June Bugs were covering the overly ripe figs.  I had never seen so many in the same place at once.  Check the photos out:




Amazing.  Then going in the house I saw a Golden Orb Spider, it was huge and beautiful (I hate spiders, but I can appreciate a beauty like this one)




I have never in my life seen as many bugs as we have here, not even in South Florida.  Wow.

2 comments:

  1. Even though they are pests, they have pretty colors! We have a couple of the Golden Orbs here too, and the Tunnel spider, whose nest is very sticky. They drive me nuts trying to keep them off the porch! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know, we have those funnel spiders everywhere. I am fascinated by their webs because until we moved here, I had never seen them before except on television. The June Bugs are beautiful with their metallic green coloring. Becky, my 6lb. Silky Terrier loves to play with them, but she still misses the geckos from Florida. All I have to say is "Lizard" and she still goes and tries to hunt them down LOL.

    ReplyDelete